St. Agnes Parish, located at 247 Stanwich Road in Greenwich, Connecticut, was founded in September 1963 from the established parishes of St. Catherine's and St. Mary's. The first Mass was celebrated in St. Agnes Church on June 24, 1964.
St. Agnes Church is located on land originally owned by the Dommerich family, which was known as Wildwood Farm. The 50-room main house, built in 1917 as the home of Alexander and Clara Dommerich, was totally destroyed by fire on a bitter cold night in January, 1967. Greenwich Reform Synagogue is currently located where the house once existed.
Among other buildings, the Dommerich estate included a dairy barn, a dairyman's cottage and a six-car garage with chauffeur and supervisor's quarters at either end. This building is currently St. Agnes Church.
The garage, also known as The Carriage House, was transformed into a chapel seating 150 people. As the parish grew, the building was expanded in 1969 to seat 350 people. In 1974, the Carriage Room was built underneath the church, to be used for social functions and meetings as the community grew. In 1986, the church was renovated as it currently exists today.
Father J. Clifford Grise was appointed the first pastor of St. Agnes. In 1971, Father Grise was transferred to St. Peter's Church in Danbury. Monsignor James J. McLaughlin became the second pastor and stayed until he retired on July 31, 1984. Monsignor McLaughlin died on August 2, 1985 and is buried on the parish grounds. Father Stephen J. DeLuca was appointed the third pastor in August, 1984, a position he held until June of 2006. In October 2006, Rev. William Carey joined St. Agnes as our fourth pastor.